formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Target - Expect (to spend) More...

I love Target. Always have. It's the best store ever. There are days when every single thing I wear, with the exception of my glasses, is from Target. In fact, if they sold Nikes and Vanity Fair underwear, I might never have to enter another store. If our Target sold groceries, I'd been in Heaven.

When I moved back here 3 years ago, there was no Target. I was horrified. Worried. Ill. See, I won't shop at WalMart (aka 'The Evil Empire'). Ever. What to do?! But things got better when I found out that 1) a new Target was being built in town, and 2) there was indeed a store not TOO far away (OK, yeah, it was about 40 minutes from me, over a mountain... but desperate times and all). Anyway, the new Target finally opened and all was right with the world again.

However... I might have to stop shopping there. I've discovered (and by 'discovered', I mean 'am pulling this out my butt but it makes sense... to me') that Target is doing something very sneaky and underhanded. They are playing subliminal messages through their Muzak. It's true. I know it is. And the messages sound something like this... "Spend at least $100"... "Do not check out until you have $100 worth of stuff in your cart". And here's how I know these subliminal messages are not in my head. Every time I go into Target, no matter what I go for, I spend $100. Yesterday I went in for dog food. $100. Two weeks ago, dental floss. $100. Sunscreen. $100. Socks. $100. See where I'm going with this? It is not me. I have more willpower this this. Worse, I have less money than this. It's not me. But still, $100. Every damned visit.

I'm going to prove it. Mark my word. And then I'm going to sue Target. I'm going to sue them for the $389,563.72 I've spent in there (well, that amount actually includes overdraft fees, but still). I am. Mark my word.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I think most stores are playing that message nowadays. We need some tin foil hats to make it stop.

P.S. You, award, my blog. Go there

Unknown said...

oh and P.S. again: You should get on twitter. No pressure. But it's what all the cool, award winning bloggers are doing ;)

B said...

Target and I get along ENTIRELY too well.

I mean, yikes.

Ronda's Rants said...

Does Harrisonburg have a Target now?
We used to live there when my Hubby and I were first married...my oldest who is 28 was born there and then I wanted to come home....but we will be retiring in Broadway on land there that his family owns! A target would be extremely helpful to my transition!

Solei said...

Oh my, that's the story of my life too!!!
I'm afraid to run in there for "1 thing" 'cause then I come out of there with a cart full, and empty pockets. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the cartfull, just not about the empty pockets!
=0D

Lee said...

Funny, Muzak has the opposite effect on my. Must be a man thing but once that music intrudes on my mind I just want to pack up and go.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

You spent $100 on dental floss???

Zuzana said...

I behave this way in every store, at all times, so I have now started to shop online.:)

Melanie Gillispie said...

I've been saying for years that they have subliminal messages posted throughout their stores. I actually just said it to the girls I work with last week. I love Target - you know I do - and I have been avoiding it like the plague because I know those subliminal messages will get me to spend more money than I logically know is good for me. Meanwhile, one of my co-workers just told me that they have a crazy good sale going on...