formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Writer's Workshop: I Used to Think...

It's Writer's Workshop time... head over to Kathy's and check it out. This week, I chose the prompt: I used to think...

I used to think it was funny when my dad groaned the ‘old man groan’ when he got up out of his chair. Then I started doing it myself.

I used to think that even if I abused my body, it wouldn’t let me down. Then it broke and made me cry.

I used to think we were never handed that which we couldn’t handle. Then a good friend committed suicide.

I used to think that as long as I refused to believe it was going to happen, the people I loved would never leave me. Then my father died.

I used to think that death was the end. Then I felt my dad’s spirit and I knew there was something more… and that was enough.

I used to think my husband would never cheat on me. Then he broke my heart… but not my spirit.

I used to think that when you love someone, you love them forever. Then I found out that love can end... but the world doesn’t.

I used to think people who claimed to be depressed simply needed to get over it. Then my world caved in around me and I found out just how hard it is to find your way out of the dark.

I used to think writing was just something to do for fun. Then it saved my sanity.

I used to think it was nurture and not nature that caused little girls to like dolls and little boys to like trucks. Then my daughter jumped straight from gender-neutral toys into her Disney Princess phase.

I used to think my baby would take her time growing up. Then, today, I bought her a bra.

I used to think I knew a lot about a lot. Then I realized just how little I know about a lot.

I used to think life was, if not endless, long enough. Now I know better.

I used to think that the best is yet to come. I still do.

25 comments:

Sam_I_am said...

Diane, I love it when you write. It gives me this amazingly calm feeling in my heart. You have an awesome gift. :-)

Heather said...

Wonderful post!! Just got home from Union Station..bout to hit the sack. Early day tomorrow. Almost didn't read any blogs... as it stands, I've read one - yours. You didn't let me down. :)

Michelle said...

Your writing is greatness!!!

Nuff said!!!

blognut said...

Yeah... to all of that. Every word.

You know I love you, right? I have to; we are the same person.
;0)

Jenners said...

You really hit a home run with this one. I always feel like such a shallow dork when you "go deep" like this. I stand amazed before your greatness.

hebba said...

Oh, you always make me smile.

mo.stoneskin said...

That was a lovely piece. I particularly enjoyed the 'old man groan' reference, as I used to mock my own dad (silently), and now I ache, and I'm a lot younger than he was when I was the mocking one!

Zuzana said...

It is always a true pleasure to come here and read your thoughts, as you seem to so eloquently convey what all of us out there think.;)
I completely identify with your two last "I used to's".

Amy McMean said...

great post Diane!

Lee said...

Some mighty fine thinks in that list.

Anonymous said...

I used to think that people who wanted to sit on the computer all day and read other's thoughts were strange...now I find this strangeness very addicting!

I love your writing.

The Ice Bloggers said...

I second Sherri.

I love your writing too.

xxx

Sometimes Sophia said...

What a beautiful post. So true... all of it. Amazing, how time puts a perspective on things.

Soda and Candy said...

Ooh, goosebumps! what a great list!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Diane, I am so much beside you on every step of this path you have taken - Beautifully written, as ever, thank you so, so much, and to correct you - You do know - A lot! xox

Carrin said...

This post was just what I needed today! The best is still yet to come.

Stu Pidasso said...

I am glad your spirit is strong and that you managed to pull through your hard time. I still struggle with mine because I can't hug my kids everyday. I think most women take that for granted, and I wonder how many of the men going through what I am have just as hard a time dealing with it as I do.

I am okay, but it is harder most days than not.

Stu Pidasso said...

And I am still OOYSA. Thanks for your posts, Diane.

Melissa said...

Oh geez, I am not looking forward to the days were my daughter needs a bra... I am just moving into the "long shower" phase with my almost 13 year old son.... YIKES!!!

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

Second time to your blog and you do not disappoint.
Your post was so heart felt - so WISE. I envy your daughter. You will be able to teach her so much.

Michelle said...

Ive left you something over at my place

xx

Unknown said...

Good post. And I agree - the best is yet to come.

Summer said...

we have similar takes on this. great minds think alike.

boneman said...

knocking quietly so as not to disturb those within the house. Wiping feet carefully, tap tap tap again (wouldn't bother a mouse.

Ah, no one is home, a relaxing breath taken, but then,
A shuffle on the other side of the door, and there I stood, quite taken.

"Excuse me, mam," I said as I shuffled my feet,
"I just came by to say I liked your poetry at Mr. Newbery's, today,
...and, uh...er," stammering for a word to stay in beat,
but, none came, so a just stood there in sway.

Perhaps it was because I'm kind'a really tall,
but the door stayed closed, which really didn't bother me at all.
I'm fairly bashful at a lot of things, see.
So it was OK if you didn't invite me in for tea.

Though you might because, it's also easy to observe,
I'm most respectful and really quite reserved.
You might even let your dog come out,
And I would scratch on the special spot on his snout,
But, then again, you might be a bit un-nerved.

Making polite goodbyes I would go on my way.
Just happy that I told you, I liked the poem you wrote today.

d=))

Angela Tolsma said...

great post thanks for sharing