Because it's a special day (for me, anyway), I wanted to do a special post, but I couldn't decide what it should be (I know, shock and surprise, right?). Then the beautiful Fhina tagged me with a "Things That Make Me Happy" meme and it seemed appropriate. I did one a while ago and people liked it (it's here, if you'd like to see it), so I'm happy to give it another shot.
The meme states that I have to list 6 unimportant things that make me happy. I maintain that anything that makes me happy simply cannot be unimportant. And like last time, when I broke the rules and listed 10 things, I can't limit my list to 6... so I'm going to show you a dozen important things I love ~ things that give me the warm fuzzies (with pictures, which are hard as hell to format, so please show me some bloggy love for my diligence :)...
1. Books... and the places they congregate, like libraries, bookstores, book fairs, my bedroom...
2. Handwritten letters from people I love (or even people I like!)... not just cards (though they're nice, too), but real letters.
3. "Coaching" my little sinkers... I love their energy, their giggles, their hugs. And when I can help them overcome their fears and/or learn something new? What an amazing feeling!
4. Celtic Crosses... I know it's odd, given how I feel about God/religion, but I love Celtic crosses. It might be because I was born in Scotland and they're all over (this one is in Dundee)... I don't know. But I wear a silver one, wrapped in a Claddaugh, all the time. I got it in a little shop by the North Sea... it reminds me that there is something bigger than me out there and that I need to treat myself with more love, loyalty, and friendship than I often do.
5. Laughing so hard you can't breathe... and the people and things that make you laugh so hard you can't breathe!
6. Lambs... baby animals in general make me happy but lambs (like puppies) hold a special place in my heart (especially the black-faced ones). I also love them broiled with mint sauce, which is, believe me, something with which I struggle greatly!
7. Travel... nearby or far, far away. It opens my mind, my senses, my heart... it's all good.
8. Red wine... Pinot Noir or Merlot... a glass with dinner or by the fire, or bottles flowing freely at a dinner party with friends (never 5 bottles between 2 people, though... never again, anyway).
9. Gerber Daisies... they just make me smile! Next to tulips, they're my favorite flower.
10. London... I love its history, life, people, pubs... it's one of my favorite places.
11. Sitting by an outdoor fire... from spring through fall, with friends and a bottle of red.
12. The idea of transformation... caterpillar to butterfly... ugly duckling to swan. I'm still working on my own transformation but I'm sure there's a butterfly somewhere in this old cocoon!
I tag anyone and everyone who would like to do a "Things That Make Me Happy" post! Do it! It'll make you happy! And again, I thank you for the many smiles you've all brought to my face over the last year! XOXO