formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Love You Always...

Last night, my friend Mark died.


He was a wonderful guy - one of the funniest, most caring people I've ever known. I met him more than 20 years ago, when I was living in Richmond and working with his best friend and roommate. For the longest time, I actually thought they were gay, which turned out to be a long-running, quite hilarious joke. They weren't... Mark, in fact, loved women... loved them... and when we'd be out in a bar or a restaurant, he'd marvel at how I would zero in and comment on exactly the woman he had noticed. I never told him, but it really wasn't that hard. If she was breathing, he noticed!

Mark was a groomsman in my wedding. He always called me Lady Di and just after the rehearsal dinner, the night before the wedding, he said to me, "Lady Di, here's a check... a blank check... it's yours if you just don't marry Rob." I just laughed, as we'd always had a silly, somewhat flirty relationship (as he did with loads of women) and I thought he was teasing. But I found out later he was only half-kidding that night. Clearly he was prophetic as well.

When my marriage ended, he was there to lend a shoulder, his humor, and his love... as always. He had a heart as big as the sky and he was always opening it up to the people he loved and people he didn't even know. He did mission work around the world and he made friends wherever he went. You could always count on him for a helping hand, an encouraging word, or a seriously dirty joke!

His death was unexpected. I'm stunned... reeling. I spoke with him recently and he sounded great, even though his father had just passed away. But Mark was an optimist through and through... a light in an otherwise dark day. I'm looking for that light today.

You were loved by many, my friend, and you always will be. You touched so many lives and made every one of them better. You will be missed... so very missed.

Rest in peace, dear Marky-Mark. I love you always... XOXO

Lady Di

30 comments:

blognut said...

A beautiful tribute, darlin'. I'm so sorry for
your loss and for the hurt you are feeling right now.

Love you.

XOXO

Heather said...

Oh Diane - my heart hurts for you. I know how very hard it is to lose someone so dear to you. You wrote a beautiful piece though - and I'm sure Marky-Mark would be beaming with pride for the very sweet things you said about him.

Thinking of you.

me said...

very sad my dear..... my thoughts are with you... :)

Rosaria Williams said...

My goodness, you must be shocked by this sudden departure. This is a heartfelt tribute he would have appreciated.

Jane! said...

Sad for you.

Jenera said...

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Annie K said...

Those were wonderful words for a friend you have obviously held very dear. I'm sorry for your loss and will definitely keep you and Mark's family/friends in my prayers.

Zuzana said...

I am so very sorry, how terrible to loose such a good friend. :(
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you've lost a friend.
*hugs*

Moonlight In Vermont said...

I am so sorry you lost your friend.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

He was obviously an old soul and a true friend - May he find peace in his life and be re-incarnated some place he is loved and adored - Such character in his face - Lovely. Love to you, my friend - Rest well, drink and be merry - Remember the good moments - You both had lots of them together x

Sam_I_am said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Diane. I cant imagine how terribly difficult this is

justsomethoughts... said...

very touching.
he was as lucky as you count yourself. and as we count ourselves.

Jean said...

What a beautiful face.
I'm so sorry, Diane. *hugs*

dianne said...

So sorry you have lost such a wonderful friend Diane and sorry you are hurting.
A very touching tribute. ♡

Maithri said...

My beautiful friend,

Sending you all the love in my heart...

I think it was Tagore that said "Death is not extinguishing the light. It is just putting out the lamp because the dawn has come..."

May peace enfold you and all those whom he touched...

And may the laughter you shared together live on... forever...

Loving you,

M

hebba said...

Oh, I am so sorry for you loss. He sounded like a wonderful friend. I'm glad you got to know him so well. It sounds like you life was richer for knowing him.

Christine Gram said...

How lucky you are to have him in your life! I am amazed by how much brighter my world is made by people who are not even physically there. It's a treasure.

Lee said...

I know life isn't fair but it hurts too much too sometimes.

That Baldy Fella said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. A touching tribute.

hooray said...

Lovely tribute to a wonderful friend! I'm sooooo very sorry for your loss.

I'm here if you need anything. Know that you are not alone, and that you are dearly LOVED.

tryn2bgreen said...

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing a bit of him with us, he sounds like an amazing man!

Jenners said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful human being and great friend to you. Thanks for sharing a bit about him ... and consider yourself lucky to have had him. Sending hugs.

Guinhyvar said...

I'm so sorry, Diane. It is never easy to lose someone. I am sorry this happened.

My thoughts are with you.

Sometimes Sophia said...

So sorry for your loss. Mark sounds like a generous spirit. Be thankful that he enriched your life, and vow to act in ways that honor his memory. (Which shouldn't be difficult for you, since you already are such a worthy soul.) Peace and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful words for your good friend Diane. My thoughts and sentiments are with you right now.

SSP said...

oh my gosh I am SO sorry to hear that! You sure said some lovely things about him - it is obvious that he was a really good friend! Sending warm thoughts and h ugs for you in this hard time!!

Chris said...

A childhood buddy of mine passed away recently as well . . . I feel for your pain, Diane. Sounds like you have some great memories to keep with you, though.

Sherri Murphy said...

Sounds like I missed meeting a wonderful man.

Hugs to all those who loved him.

Beautiful tribute.

Jennifer Poe said...

I read this for the first time. I did not cry. Not sure what that means... I think it means I smiled which didn't leave room for tears. So... thanks.

Love you,
Jenn-Pooh