formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Saturday, November 23, 2013

And Whiskers on Kittens...

Here's Round Two of my most favorite things (in no particular order)...


Walking in the Woods: I find that being out in is nature restorative and peaceful and... completely and utterly necessary to well-being. Sometimes the woods are close to home, in the park... sometimes they're on a nearby mountain... and sometimes they're far away, in a place I've gone deliberately to get away from it all. Wherever they are... they're where I want to be.


Kissing: Granted, I don't get to do it as often as I'd like, but when I do? Ahhh. And first kisses? Whether they're anticipated, long-awaited, or complete surprises? Well, let's just say that one of the best parts about being single is the idea that yet another first kiss is possible.


Bookstores: They prove there's a Heaven. Right here. On Earth. Wherever I am, if there is a bookstore nearby, you'll find me in it. I don't even have to buy (though I usually do)... just being in a place filled with real, tangible pieces of bliss is good enough.


Chocolate: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I don't have to add anything here, do I?


Wine: All I'll say here is red. Merlot or Pinot Noir. With friends, preferably.


Swim Coaching: I've been doing this for 6 years so far and it's the best part of my year. I love my little sinkers... and my big sinkers. I love that it allows me to share something with my daughter that she loves and is so good at. And I love the family we joined when we came to our team. I can't imagine my life without them now. Winning has never been our primary goal... but it's what happened to me 6 years ago, and every year since.


Bagpipe Music: It's not for everyone, I know... and I'm sure it's simply in my blood, given my Scottish heritage... but I love the pipes. And a song like Amazing Grace? Can bring me to tears.


The WWII Era: This time in history fascinates me, particularly with regard to the Holocaust, the victims of the war, the families left behind, and especially the everyday people who became heroes. I've always thought I was born too late and should have lived through that time (and who knows? Maybe I did). Studying it doesn't bring me joy exactly, but learning the stories of love and triumph over adversity and evil does my soul good.


Stonework: I love things made of stone. I'm not sure if it's the permanence stonework represents for me, or if its simply the beauty of it, but I love it. One day, I shall live in a stone cottage by the sea. Even if only in my dreams.


Writing: I love to lose myself in a piece of writing and come out on the other side changed in some way. Writing helps me to clear my head and my heart of clutter; it helps me to clarify my thinking and understand things I'm struggling with; it helps me to find solutions to problems niggling at me (or smacking me upside my head. With a brick). It's good for me -- body, mind, and spirit. And if someone else enjoys something I've written? Well, that's just the most amazing icing on the cake!


Fresh Peas: Of all the wonderful things that come from a vegetable garden, fresh peas, eaten straight from the pod, still warm from the sun, are the best. Better than candy. Better than chocolate, even. True story.

To be continued...

2 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I can happily pass on the swimming but back you all the way on the rest.

dianne said...

A wonderful post dear Diane. I love book stores, they have their own special scent, old stone houses and their gardens, writing, bagpipe music, swimming, chocolate and other favourites are old linens, crockery and junk shops.
Happy week dear friend
xoxoxo ♡