formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Just Wednesday


2014 will be here in about five hours. I've sat here for a little while this evening, trying to figure out what I'm going to write for my last post of the year.

Yeah. I've got nothin'.

In the past, I've written about making resolutions... and breaking resolutions; about the optimism a new year brings; about setting goals and starting over.

But I've spent today feeling really down. I'm not sure why, really. I mean, I'm glad 2013 is almost over, as it's been a year. It's been a year I felt I simply survived. And sometimes? Barely survived.

That's something, though, right? Surviving, even barely so, is better than the alternative, certainly.

But for as glad as I might feel that this year is coming to a close, I realized that tomorrow? 2014? It's really just the day after today. The slate isn't magically wiped clean simply because the calendar flips. When the sun comes up in the morning, it will be 2014, yes... but it will also be 'just Wednesday.' The mess I left on my desk today won't disappear when the ball drops. I won't wake up tomorrow miraculously filled with energy. My lymph nodes will still be full of cancer, my bank account still filled with nothing, my ex-husband still a jerk, my bedroom still a mess.

Right?

Right.

But still...

It is a new year. And the optimist in me (and she's there, even when she's hiding under the blankets, refusing to be social) wants to believe that this new year will be different. She wants to believe that goals will be met, passions uncovered, dreams realized, love found.

Actually, she sort of has to believe it.

Otherwise she'd just give up.

And giving up is not acceptable.

So, tonight, I'm going to ring in the New Year with my dog. And I'm going to wake up tomorrow -- on 'just Wednesday' -- and take him to the park. I'm going to clean my messy bedroom. I'm going to write down a few goals I want to meet in the coming year and plans to reach them.

And I'm going to do my very best to keep my heart and mind open, all year, in order to recognize and realize those passions, dreams, and love when they come my way.

I'm going to keep my Word of the Year - light - in mind, always. I'm going to try to remember that all I have to do is turn the light on when things feel dark.


 And hopefully, when 2015 rolls around, I'll be able to say that I didn't simply survive 2014... I'll be able to say that I thrived.

And that? Might be the most important goal I've ever set... for a Wednesday.

5 comments:

Michael S Newstrom said...

I call these days: 'Red Blanket Days'. Sometimes they last longer than a day of course. But, I certainly want to crawl under a blanket and not be social - melancholy and not completely sure of the exact reason. Reasons flurry in in this state and so it's a blame-fest.

I just want to say that I am very happy to have been part of your 2013. I have made a new and most significant friend. You have inspired me to look at where I am and set new goals for myself. I am very excited to be a pet of your 2014.



Fred Bowman said...

A helluva Wednesday!

:)

dianne said...

Happy New Year dear Diane, I hope you do 'thrive' in 2014!
hugs
xoxoxo ♡

Karen Jensen said...

Let us make 2014 better.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Good start - determination. Revisit your goal every night. A hint - list what you currently do to reach your goal and resolve to do them better. It is easier to improve than to start from scratch. Good luck. Keep us posted.