Are you superstitious? If you ask me that question, I’ll tell you I’m not. I don’t even believe in luck – not really… though Murphy’s Law does seem to hold some validity in my life. And there is that whole thing where no matter what line I get into at the store, it will be the slowest, even if it had been the fastest when I got into it (man, I hate that).
Anyway, as I say, I’ll tell you I’m not superstitious but the truth is, I sort of am. Sort of. Do I truly believe I’ll have 7 years bad luck if I break a mirror? Nope. Do I worry if a black cat crosses my path? Not in the least. Would I walk under a ladder? Well, no, actually, I wouldn’t, but not because it’s bad luck… it’s just kind of unsafe, don't you think? But there are a few things I do which, logically, make not one iota of sense and which I don't even understand… superstitious things… things I learned as a child or just picked up along the way. For example:
1. I will not open an umbrella indoors.
2. I will not put new shoes on the table.
3. When I go through a yellow light, I lick my thumb and touch the roof of the car.
4. When I say something I don’t want to happen, like, “I’ve never run out of gas,” I knock wood (and it has to be real wood, not that particle board crap).
5. I wish on every ‘first’ and falling star I see.
6. I never tell anyone what I’ve wished for.
7. If I spill salt, I always throw a pinch over my left shoulder (thanks, Fhina, for reminding me of that one!)
What about you? What are your illogical, silly, superstitious quirks?