formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Friday, December 27, 2013

The Lightness of Being

For the past several years, I've been following an adorable blog called The Lettered Cottage. It's written by an adorable couple - Layla and Kevin Palmer - who mostly write about decorating their adorable house(s). Every now and then, though, they do a different sort of post... like today...

You can read it here: 2014 Word of the Year

According to Layla, since 2006, she's been choosing a Word of the Year to "...focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon..." as she goes about her daily life. She says, "[The words have] been imbedded into who I am, and into who I’m becoming. They’ve been what I’ve needed (and didn’t know I needed). They’ve helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow."

As for what you're supposed to do with your word of the year, she goes on to explain, "You live with it, you let it speak to you…you follow where it leads. There are no rules…it’s just supposed to be a little spark."

I? Love this idea!

I mean, I crazy-love this idea!

I'm a word person. I adore words. I'm comfortable with them, surrounded by them. They are powerful. They excite me, inspire me, soothe me, and give me hope.

So the idea of choosing a word to focus on for the coming year?

It made me smile. Big. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

And, as it turned out, I didn't even have to choose.

My word? Chose me.

As I was reading her post, the word 'light' washed over me. I felt it physically. It settled in me and around me and I knew it would be my Word of the Year. And it makes sense, really. 2013 was a year filled with some pretty dark moments... scary moments... moments that felt as if they'd go on forever... moments that weighed me down - body, mind, heart, and soul.

Light is what I want, need, and will seek in 2014.

Light in the dark moments... lighter thoughts... a lighter heart... even physical lightness.

I've mentioned how much I love the lyrics from Leonard Cohen's 'Anthem'...

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in


They've become my anthem. And they're about... hello...

Light.

And? How perfection isn't...

Well, it just isn't. Imperfection allows the light in -- and back out -- of us.


A beautiful concept, no?

Yes.

So, here's to a year filled with light. I'm ready for it. I'm going to focus on it, meditate on it, and follow where it leads me.

You know I'll keep you posted...

Now, if you were to pick a Word of the Year, what would it be? I'd love to know...

4 comments:

Eric said...

Life

Sheila said...

I pick a word each year and then have an artist on etsy create an image that contains the word.
I keep the image in a frame on my desk at work, use it on my computer background at home and keep it in view in other places.
My word for 2014: Open

Diane said...

Eric, great word :)

Sheila, I LOVE that!! I'm going to do something (with my daughter's help) with that Leonard Cohen verse, to hang near my desk.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about trying this. Enough, as in I am enough and I have enough stuff.