formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Am...

During my regular early-morning, random blog stalk, I came across a post I really loved, generated from a writing prompt. Though I copied the directions for the prompt, I (stupidly) neglected to bookmark the page (and of course I can’t find it again). As such, I can’t give credit to the blogger. So if you happen upon this post and know where the prompt came from, please let me know! Thanks!

Tell us who you are, what’s inside, where you’re from. Share your memory fragments, those visions in your head, those figments that make you, you. What bits and pieces formed your whole? Are you whole? Tell us.

I am from pull yourself up by your own bootstraps.
... from porch swings on muggy summer evenings.
... from Jiffy Pop popcorn and toasted marshmallows.
... from bagpipes and 'Billy Don't Be a Hero'.
... from unlocked doors and good neighbors.

I am from hard work never hurt anybody.
... from soldiers and patriots.
... from swings and see-saws and skinned knees.
... from narrow-minded viewpoints and broad horizons.
... from firefly lanterns and rain on a tin roof.

I am from stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.
... from stand up for what you believe in.
... from Red Rover and tag, hide-and-seek and kick-the-can.
... from musty libraries on rainy afternoons.
... from hand-knitted sweaters and penny loafers.

I am from money doesn’t grow on trees.
... from beer and smoky barrooms and weekend-long cookouts.
... from dreamers and from grounded in reality.
... from do as I say, not as I do.
... from stray dogs and stray people.

I am from campgrounds, mountain lakes, and battlefields.
... from faith and faithlessness.
... from betrayal and loss and great pain... and from great love.
... from strong men, resilient women, and funny, funny people.
... from lost… and found… and lost again.

I am from still searching for home... still searching for me.

13 comments:

Melanie Gillispie said...

Good list, Dianabelle. You're good at making lists. I'm glad I'm one of your stray people (and hopefully one of your funny ones too). I know you'll do it, but check out the video over at mine.

Unknown said...

I like it. I'm glad you're all of those because they make you when they're all together...even if there is "You Light Up My Life" in there.

Diane said...

LOL... I changed it to Billy Don't Be A Hero ;) Still embarrassing but not quite so much!

Jane! said...

Ooh, good job! Ir really like that!

Jane! said...

Omg, I just went through it again. We have a lot in common, not the least of which is 'something to cry about'.

Ronda's Rants said...

You are deep! That is brilliant and so very revealing! You come from good stock!

Heather said...

"Billy don't be a hero...don't be be a fool with your life. Billy don't be a hero, come back and make me your wife. And as he started to go...she said Billy hang your head looooow, Billy don't be a hero, come back to meeee." Hahahaa, sorry.
Mama and I were JUST talking about this song! She used to sing it all the time when I was a kid. It's funny how words to songs stick with you. I can remember every word to a song I learned when I was five, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast somedays.

Zuzana said...

Beautiful, Diane.
Totally love (and recognize) the last line.

Anonymous said...

This is a great one, Diane...some of those bring back memories - I loved the entire section "stop crying or I'll..." those all are perfect!

Lee said...

I feel like an under-achiever!

Stu Pidasso said...

WOW!! to look at yourself and write those things as the make-up of how you were raised and who you are is impressive. Medic, check that guy because I think he just spilled his guts!! If that ain't from the heart, that person is a damn good faker.

Hope you find your "lost" post.

GB!!

Stu Pidasso said...

I didn't realize that you wrote that!! Awesome job!! You should have a lot more blog-stalkers coming now.

hooray said...

I love this! It's so beautifully detailed and rich!

I CAN so relate to a lot of it, too!

I'm from VERY narrow minded people!!!
ARGH!

Reading this makes me want to take you out for sushi and talk for hours!!! (oh, yeah, I already wanted to do that!)

Love you!