formerly Diane's Addled Ramblings... the ramblings are still addled, just like before, and the URL is still the same...
it's just the title at the top of the page that's new

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cattitude...

I'm not a cat person. Not really. I don't dislike them at all but I've never owned one (or been owned by one), nor have I ever really had the desire. Cats are just too independent... too aloof... too, well, snooty for me. And up until just recently, I was allergic to them. Touching a critter of the feline persuasion caused my eyes to swell shut and my nose to run like a faucet. Not pleasant. It seems I've outgrown the allergy, though (and it's a good thing, as you'll soon see). Anyway, I've always been of the give me a sweet, slobbery, goofy pooch any day attitude.

However... I might be changing that attitude.

Everyone, meet Peeto. Peeto, meet everyone.


Cute, huh? Peeto is not my cat. Honest. Peeto, however, might not know this. He actually belongs to our across-the-street neighbor. He used to be her 'inside cat' (along with his brother, Toby) but for some reason, the boys have become her 'outside cats' and they roam the neighborhood freely. In the warmer months, they spent a lot of time in our yard, terrorizing the birds and playing with Sundance. Really. He loves them. Or he did... when they were our neighbor's outside cats. Now? Peeto seems to have become our inside cat. Or inside/outside cat, actually.

It started when the weather got colder. Peeto would shoot in the front door when I let Sundance out (Toby shows up once in a while, but not so often as his brother). Ryan loves this (she is a cat person and has always wanted one) and since he was in fairly often, we did what any reasonable animal lovers would do... we bought food. Yup. You guessed it. Peeto started showing up more often. A lot more often. Now? If Sundance hasn't gone out in a while, Peeto just knocks on the storm door... and of course, I open it. If that doesn't work? He shows up at whatever window I'm closest to (I can't tell you how many times he's nearly given me a coronary when I'm doing the dishes!).

And he's started to make himself very, very comfortable...


As I mentioned, Sundance really likes the cats. Actually, I've wondered if he might wonder if they're even cats. They sort of act like dogs. As soon as they see him (or us), they plop down, roll over, and expose their bellies for rubbing. I've never seen a cat do that. My dog, though? Does it all the time. Sundance likes to paw at them and they grab his feet with their kitty paws and hold on. It's pretty cute. Sometimes they even lay down together and snuggle. That is, when they're outside. When they're inside, Sundance isn't so sure what to think. He's a pretty jealous boy by nature and when we're at the park, I'm not even allowed to pet any other dogs (though he's allowed to be petted by their owners... not quite sure how that works). Anyway, since it's been so incredibly cold, I can't bring myself to put Peeto outside at night (but I also won't give him full access to the house), so he's started sleeping with me... and Sundance. He always starts out on the wicker chair in my room. Sundance usually looks at him - and then me - quite plaintively, as if to say, "Really, Mom? Again?"


Then he gives him a snuffle...


And, finally, gives me the (tentative) OK.


I think Sundance would like it a lot better if Peeto would just stay on the chair. Truth be told, so would I. I'm not used to a critter climbing all over my furniture in the middle of the night. Or sleeping on my head. But we're getting used to each other.

And I think I might be turning into a cat person.

18 comments:

Marla said...

Congratulations! You've just been adopted. lol

LOVE the photos!!

Debbie said...

so cute!! as a dog, cat, tortoise, reptile..you name it person..I so get this post!!:) I have 3 indoor cats!! BUT, we got adopted by 2 homeless outdoor kittens!! I still claim they are homeless (as somehow having 5 cats seems SO many!) BUT they were collars, have beds in the utility room and we feed them twice a day! I think...they just might not be homeless anymore! BUT don't tell anyone!!LOL!

Pearl said...

Peeto has adopted you, and Sundance is okay with it.

Ya big softie. :-)

Pearl

Jean said...

Ha! Not becoming a cat person, you 'are' a cat person. I think it's great.

d:-)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, especially that look on Sundance's face! You are a very caring soul Diane. Glad that you outgrew the allergies.

Heather's M

Tom said...

I'm a former dog lover/cat hater. I can tell you now that you will never look at cats the same way again and my bet is you'll own several more in your lifetime. This is not something people set out to do but you are now on an irreversible path.

Just make sure you don't own more than two or three at the same time. It gets exponential after that barrier is passed and you don't want to go there.

Tom

PS. I adore that last picture!

Zuzana said...

Peeto is CUTE!!! Go Peeto! Glad he got you transformed.;) And the pictures here are simply incredibly sweet. Batcat sends his best; cats are perfect pets, I simply can not say anything but the best about them - what you list as slightly negative about them is exactly what have always appealed to me.;)
Have a great Friday dear friend,
xoxo
Zuzana

Pauline said...

is that a horse I see behind the bush in the yard? And don't look now but there's a goat under the far tree and a couple of chickens looking at you with longing in their eyes ;)

Welcome to the Cats Are Way Cool group

Heather said...

Aww - I think it's cute that Sundance snuggles with him. And that look on his face in that picture is priceless.

Way to step up and take care of someone else's kitty. Peeto is lucky to have you! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I AM a cat person and have always had cats but then we started moving (and renting) a lot and it's just not conducive to cat ownership. So we don't now, which makes me a little bit jealous of the Kitty-love affair you're having with your neighbors cat ;)

Melanie Gillispie said...

Monster chasing you into the bathroom and keeping you hostage for a couple of hours at least didn't turn you against cats forever, allergy or not. So, that's good. Nick couldn't tell you were not a cat person at all! I mean, he seemed to think your lap was his new home. And, speaking of cats being like dogs. Sissy taught Nick how to fetch while she was here.

justsomethoughts... said...

peeto ? serious attitude.
sundance ? typical guy.

dianne said...

Great pictures Diane dear, I think you have just been 'adopted' and I think Sundance is one wonderful dog.
Not all cats are aloof, snooty and independent...mine are very much a part of the family, they are affectionate, follow me around the house and love having their tummies rubbed.
You have a kind heart Diane,Peeto is a lucky kitty, I hope it will all work out. ♡

Sometimes Sophia said...

Orange and white cats are the friendliest! You chose well, Diane...

swenglishexpat said...

Aaah! What a sweet story. I'm a softie, so I enjoyed it.

Live More Now said...

oh my gosh that is so cute!! Peeto is cute, your dog Sundance is DARLING (just look at that face!) Oh, smoosh! I love it.

I remember the first time a cat tried to sleep on my head (it was on my face) - panick attack! But it was a friend's cat, so I can laugh about it now.

Aren't pets the best. So loveable!

blognut said...

Awww... I love your doggie. I do not so much love your cat, but I will try.

:)

A Woman Of No Importance said...

You have been suckered right on in, Diane! Peeto is a sweetie, definitely! And buying food? That gave him the invitation to stay! It's good for them all to learn to be sociable, and those lovely pictures speak one thousand words! x